One thing the counselling did for me was to introduce me to the term ‘Highly Sensitive Person.’ At the time I was insulted. Being sensitive wasn’t a good thing. People always told me I was too sensitive. Now I accept that I am highly sensitive and I love it. The world needs Highly Sensitive People.
Questions from the website http://hsperson.com/
Is this you?
- Are you easily overwhelmed by such things as bright lights, strong smells, coarse fabrics, or sirens nearby?
- Do you get rattled when you have a lot to do in a short amount of time?
- Do you make a point of avoiding violent movies and TV shows?
- Do you need to withdraw during busy days, into bed or a darkened room or some other place where you can have privacy and relief from the situation?
- Do you make it a high priority to arrange your life to avoid upsetting or overwhelming situations?
- Do you notice or enjoy delicate or fine scents, tastes, sounds, or works of art?
- Do you have a rich and complex inner life?
- When you were a child, did your parents or teachers see you as sensitive or shy?
I tick every one of these. I feel too much. I absorb your pain. I want to fix everything. I get overwhelmed. I like to watch TV where nothing really happen- much to the annoyance of my husband. I overthink everything. I play worse-case scenarios in my head every time I leave my children.. I pray all day that they are okay.
I feel a lot of stresses. In the morning when I have to get the girls up and out and up to the school and childminder and into work for 9am- I am STRESSED- my body is STRESSED! (Thankfully I only have to do this 2 days a week) By the time I get into work, I am depleted. My body is after running around like a crazed lunatic and I don’t refuel? How could I be well? I have started to see that because I am highly sensitive, I deplete quicker than others and I don’t refuel. Years of this has taken me to where I am now. Being tested for MS. My life as a vegetarian is going well. I’m ordering off vegetarian menu’s and checking labels. Gluten free Vegetarian is a bit trickier. But I’m managing it. Gluten Free, Dairy free, Sugar Free Vegetarian- I’m struggling! I am feeling great and by Friday morning (1 and a half weeks Vegetarian) I seem to have lost a few pounds too. BONUS!